A little over a week ago, I got to meet one of my childhood heroes, Ernie Hudson whom played Winston Zeddemore in Ghostbusters 1 and 2.  It was a great experience for me as well as the many people that attended MS Comic Con.  The Remake of Ghostbusters comes out in theaters July 15th.  The buzz surrounding this remake caused numerous controversial remarks regarding how true the film is to it's original inception as well as the controversy that surrounds movie remakes as a whole.  Regardless of how successful or great the Ghostbusters remake actually is, there is no doubt that Ghostbusters has been ingrained within the pop culture of America and is a universal phenomenon. 
The first Ghostbusters film came out the year I was born in 1984.  When I was growing up in the late eighties, the Real Ghostbusters cartoon was a hit on television and I was hooked.  I made sure to have my parents buy me all the toys and clothes that were related to the Ghostbusters.  I went around the house with a ghost trap and zapper pretending to zap spirits.  My love of the Ghostbusters was so intense that my father even arranged for me to take my Ghostbusters equipment to the Mississippi Governor's Mansion of all places to zap some of the spirits that supposedly wandered the historical halls of this historic residence. I've never been able to find any evidence of legends of ghosts at the mansion.  At the age I went there, I was obviously too young to care about such things.  Nonetheless, it proved my love of the Ghostbusters.  I watched the original film on VHS since I was just a baby when it came out in theaters.  Even though some of the themes of the film were alien to me as a child, I nevertheless enjoyed it almost as much as the cartoon and my toys.  You can imagine I was excited when Ghostbusters 2 came out in theaters in 1989.  As the fad turned to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the early 90s, my interest in the Ghostbusters obviously waned.  However, there memory never went away.  Obviously, the memory of the Ghostbusters, whether the original films or cartoon has never gone away.
Being a movie buff, I was very much excited visiting New York City in the summer of 2009 to see the filming locations of some of my favorite films and, of course, that included the original Ghostbusters films.  Seeing the library where the men are chased away from a ghost at the beginning of the film felt very touching to my senses.  In addition, seeing the art museum that was used in the second film also had the same effect.  There's not a moment when the very mention of ghosts, whether discussed on a television show or in a historical sense, that the very image of the four men zapping ghosts come to mind.  The original song, performed by Ray Parker Jr., is still played heavily today.  People still dress up as the Ghostbusters for Halloween just as much as they did years ago.  As I saw over a week ago, the fans of Ghostbusters are still many and I don't forsee that changing.  The quotes used in the original films, whether one-liners or not, are almost as much as the common vernacular of people as quotes from movie classics likeCasablance and Breakfast at Tiffany's are.  If someone says "Who You Gonna Call?", I can only respond immediately with Ghostbusters.  Of course, is a classic.  Much like the original Ninja Turtles film, I invite people to view it as an adult to find its true value.  With the new film coming out, the story of Ghostbusters shall continue.  Whether a good movie or not, it shows the ongoing love of the original film and the Ghostbusters as a whole.  GHOSTBUSTERS FOREVER!!!!