Thursday, December 15, 2016

David Bowie and the Breakfast Club






I wrote this article just moments after hearing of the passing of legendary musician David Bowie.  This was just two days after him turning 69 years old.  Interesting to note that Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead passed away December 28th, 2015, just 4 days after his 70th birthday.  I cannot honestly say that I've ever been the biggest fan of David Bowie and his music.  Sure, I've been known to jam to "Fame" and a couple of other his songs and he certainly had an influence on a lot of the hard rockers I like. However, I never connected to his work the way I have with other artists such as Lemmy.  Nonetheless I feel compelled to write how David Bowie's passing is ironic considering what happened to me just yesterday.  For some odd reason, I felt the urge to watch John Hughes's Sixteen Candles since I hadn't watched it in a while.  Although various aspects of the film have not aged well, I was thoroughly entertained and wanted to revisit another Hughes's films The Breakfast Club.  The beginning of the film begins with a quote from David Bowie:
"...And these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds are immune to your consultations.  They're quite aware of what they're going through..."
This quote struck an emotional chord in me that I cannot fully describe.  I knew my revisit of this film would be enjoyable.  In case you haven't seen the The Breakfast Club, the film centers around a day of detention at a suburban high school in the 1980's.  Five students, from five different teenage stereotypes, spend the day getting to know one another in a peculiar social setting. Although their relations to each other appear to be initially strained, the five eventually come to relate to each other and their adolescent problems.  I haven't been a teenager for 12 years but I do remember my teen years very vividly.  Even though all the student's in the film portrayed a different stereotype, I felt I could relate to each from my own personal experiences, both as a teenager and in the time leading up to this very moment.  Anthony Michael Hall's character is that of an intellectual.  Although I had certain learning disabilities as a child, I have always considered myself very intelligent and can proudly say I received a good education.  However, even with a Bachelor's and a Master's degree, I always have known that I am not immune to the same types of problems a high school graduate or dropout faces in their everyday lives.  Hall's character Brian reveals something to this effect to his peers when he divulges the strained relationship he has with his parents.  Emilio Estevez's character, Andrew, is a jock  on the school Wrestling Team.  I was certainly not considered a 'jock' in high school.  However, due to my lack of athletic ability, I set out to improve my body in whatever way possible through exercise.  I even ended up working in health clubs and helping out with bodybuilding shows.  Andrew is an amateur wrestler in the film.  I always dreamed of being a professional wrestler.  Similar to Brian, only from an athletic perspective, Andrew experiences competitive pressures from his parents that sometimes negate his achievements.  Molly Ringwald plays Claire, a pretty and popular girl who later reveals the problems she faces in maintaining her image and her family life.  While I never became a popular person, I had had various areas of leadership in college and the real world that have required me to maintain a certain profile that suits my constituents.  Therefore, I can identify with Claire as well.  Ally Sheedy, plays Allison whom is considered a reserved weirdo, at least by the standards of her peers.  While I've never been a loner, I've always been somewhat quiet and should I say 'different' from the mainstream.  We find out later in the film that she is just largely misunderstood.  Last, but certainly not least, we see the character of John Bender, played by Judd Nelson.  Bender is a rebellious teen from an abusive household, and sometimes exhibits criminal behavior.  While I've never found any pleasure in breaking the law, I did rebellious things in high school.  Hey, we all Did ha ha!!  Even to this day, I can still be considered a rebel.  While I have conformed to societal norms, I will never full accept the idea of what's considered 'socially acceptable'.  I have fun while remaining responsible.  Please check out my Article on Growing Up for more insight on this matter.  The character of Bender, while continuously maintaining a rough exterior, eventually shows his sensitive side and the factors that contribute to his personal character.  As alluded to previously, the five students initially have trouble getting along in a controlled environment for such an extended period of time.  Eventually they find the ways in which they can relate to one another by confiding their problems as human beings.  Each person realizes, that despite their differences in social status, they are all facing similar challenges.  During the student's time in detention, they are assigned an 1,000 word essay in which they describe "who they think they are".  After watching the film I began to analyze how each character resonated with my own life experiences.  Most importantly, I began to analyze the quote from David Bowie shown at the beginning of the film.  If you read it, it's really telling society that adolescents are sometimes ignored and regarded as ignorant by the adult world.  However, no matter what type of person that teenager is or what problems may persist in their everyday lives, there is an awareness that exists within them that cannot be shattered by either parental or adult supervision.  I am long past my teen years.  However, as I've stated, I don't think we ever truly grow up.  Our appearance may change and our societal roles may change.  However, there is a childish and adolescent feeling that remains in even the most sternest of adults.  To reference the essay assigned to the characters in The Breakfast Club, I feel we never fully realize who we are only who we think we are.  I can say that after viewing the quote from David Bowie and the movie, I may not know who I am but I know that my life has exhibited various characteristics.  Each characteristic can be seen in the characters of The Breakfast Club.  While a teenager, I lived according to what I knew.  To this day, I continue living according to this same principle.  I just found this insight that I found into my life very strange considering it occurred the day before Bowie's death.  Had it not been for my strange impulse to view Sixteen Candles earlier in the day, I may never have viewed the musician's quote or the aforementioned film.  The quote struck an indescribable chord into my senses.  I learned something about my life from someone as this same person's life ended.  I feel it is so ironic.  When you think about it, Life itself is Ironic!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment